Friday, December 14, 2012

twinkle, twinkle: the new version

remember the new version of twinkle, twinkle little star that i wrote for science in the pub a couple months ago?

here's a video reminder





i'm showing it again, because several people have asked me to provide the lyrics.  so, here you go!




twinkle, twinkle little star
how i wonder what you are

opaque ball of hot, dense gas
million times our planet's mass
looking small because you're far
you really are a super star

fusing atoms in your core
hydrogen, helium, carbon and more
with such power you shine here
twinkling through our atmosphere

shining like a cosmic czar
i'm finding out just what you are

the largest stars glow hot and blue
supernova when they're through
or form a black hole or neutron star
outcomes that are quite bizarre

the smallest ones burn cool and slow
still too hot to visit though
most have planets zooming 'round
home to life we have not found

our sun's average as stars go
formed 5 billion years ago
half way through its life so far
twinkle on our mother star

twinkle, twinkle little star
now i know just what you are

6 comments:

Jill said...

Thanks Amanda!

Unknown said...

This is so awesome! Thanks for the words and guitar chords.... I'm going to do this one next open mic night!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jeri lynn said...

you are rad. seriously.

Unknown said...

Love it!

Unknown said...

Hi those look like they are largely based on some lyrics I wrote in 2011. See the full list of verses here: http://mamasdukesofhazard.blogspot.com/2011/06/twinkle-twinkle-little-star.html
I wrote them when my daughter was a baby. When she was three and learned the traditional lyrics in preschool, she came home one day and told me I was "singing it wrong". I was crushed! I actually added some new verses recently too, and updated the others a bit. I have a new baby now so we'll try again with him... Wish me luck!
-Julia Kregenow